The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) is an interpreting service provided by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection for people who do not speak English and for agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients.
TIS National provides interpreting assistance to enable non-English speakers to access government agencies and services, police and legal services, education, healthcare and community groups, as well as services offered by private businesses.
English speakers are increasingly seeking to engage interpreters to communicate with non-English speakers. Services provided by TIS National are to individuals and agencies who recognise the importance of reaching out to non-English speakers to further business opportunities, satisfy community needs and provide accessible and equitable government and other services.
TIS National has:
- more than 40 years experience in the interpreting industry
- access to over 2900 contracted interpreters across Australia
- access to interpreters speaking more than 160 languages and dialects.
TIS National provides the following interpreting services:
- Immediate phone interpreting.
- ATIS Voice automated voice-prompted immediate phone interpreting.
- Pre-booked phone interpreting.
- On-site interpreting.
- Illegal Maritime Arrival (IMA) interpreting.
The TIS National immediate phone interpreting service is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year for the cost of a local call for any person or organisation in Australia who needs an interpreter.
Full details can be found by clicking on the image below: